MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. The following is a detailed introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the three components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X means the components of C or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have an array of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also found in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be utilized in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually include the etching management of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are widely used in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Additionally, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the action and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, with the continuous progress of technology and science and the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. These aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and methods could be further explored to realize a more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, however, there is still room for more optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other elements of the material may be studied and improved thorough to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been widely used in many fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to become explored. In the future, they can be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in many fields. With the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.